The Google Pixel smartphone has a built-in feature that allows users to be notified of missed calls, voicemails, and messages even when their phone is in silent mode. This can be extremely useful at night when the user wants to get up to go to the bathroom but doesn’t want to wake up his or her significant other by making noise. Unfortunately, there’s no way to schedule this feature so that it turns on automatically at certain times of the day.
Configure the DND rules
If you want to make sure you’re not bothered by notifications while you’re at work or home, you can set up rules that will automatically silence your phone based on either your Wi-Fi connection or your location. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app on your Pixel phone.
- Tap Sound.
- Under Do Not Disturb, tap the switch to turn it on .
- Tap Rules.
- You’ll see a list of some default DND settings, including one for when the device is connected to your Wi-Fi network and another for when it detects you’re in bed.
- To add a new rule, tap Add Rule and select from the available options (Wi-Fi, Location).
- In this example we’ll configure our phone to mute itself when we connect to our office’s Wi-Fi network. So scroll down to the When Connected to Wi-Fi option and select When I Connected to my Work Network.
- On the next screen, choose Between 8 AM and 6 PM so that notifications are silenced during working hours only.
- Once you’ve completed these steps, tap Done at the top right corner of your screen.
- Turn off your phone’s sound now to see how well it works!
Create automation to run when you enter/leave home (or any other location)
If you’re like me, you’re constantly forgetting to silence your phone when you get home. So I created an automation that does it for me! Here’s how:
- open the Tasker app and tap the + icon to create a new task
- give the task a name (I chose Silence Phone) and tap the checkmark icon to continue.
- in the Event category, choose Plugin->Location->Net->Wi-Fi Connected with Certain SSID
- in the Value field, enter your Wi-Fi network name
- from the Then menu at the bottom of the screen, and select Action->Silence 6.
Create an automation based on wi-fi-connected devices
If you’re sick of being woken up by notifications from your phone, you can create an automation that will silence it based on either your location or the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to. To do this, open the Automate app and tap the plus button. Then, choose the When I arrive or When I leave trigger.
You’ll need to choose one of these triggers, but not both. For example, if you want your phone silenced when you arrive home, select When I arrive. Next enter the name for the rule (for example: Home) and then choose which type of notification sound will be silenced (either All or Vibrate).
Silence your phone at night when you’re asleep
It’s important to get a good night’s sleep, and one way to do that is to make sure your phone is silenced so it doesn’t disturb you. You can create a rule in the Clock app on your Google Pixel phone that will automatically silence your phone based on either Wi-Fi or location.
To set up this rule , go to Settings > Device > Do Not Disturb > Set Up Rule. Select Wi-Fi or Location as the trigger, then select when you want it to activate (e.g., at home). Click Done to finish creating the rule. Now, every time you connect to a specific Wi-Fi network or enter a specific location, your phone will be silenced until you disconnect from that network or leave that area.